Wednesday, April 30, 2008

EnCom

Found another company that sells solar and wind energy systems, EnCom. There solar water heating solution involves panels with evacuated tubes that heat fluid (i.e. glycol) to heat water. The vacuum results in lower heat loss and claim to perform better in colder weather than solar thermal collectors. In warmer climates or hot weather they can also overheat water and require a different design that those with thermal collectors.

These may be a viable option. From I've been reading online, the solar thermal collectors can provide 90-100% of hot water requirements in the summer but only 10-20% in the winter.

There's no claim as to performce on EnCom's website.

I checked the company out at the NS Registry of Joint Stocks to see how long they've been in business, about 3 years. I've always been a little leary about companies that have not been around for very long, particularly with there after sales service but it's worth a phone call.

No comments: